Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TAURUS MODEL 605 WITH THREE INCH BARREL: OPINIONS ON BEST AMMO PLEASE (Read 3165 times)
DaSquid

Proud Firearm Supporter

Johnson County, Texas
TAURUS MODEL 605 WITH THREE INCH BARREL: OPINIONS ON BEST AMMO PLEASE
Jan 4th, 2011 at 10:04pm

I love snubbies, and I just put a Taurus Model 605 (.357) with a three inch barrel on layaway. I currently have a Taurus Model 85 (.38 special) that is my current preferred carry. I have no problem with .38 special for a defensive caliber as I think it's a very capable round.

I also think a .357 is a very capable round - in a full sized handgun. I've fired a full power .357 round out of a Charter Arms .357 one evening as the sun was setting,  and found the experience less than amusing.

The Taurus Model 605 is much the same size as the Charter Arms Pug, but with a barrel that is an inch longer - which is why I snagged it. A J-Frame sized snubby with an extended grip and a three inch barrel makes for a very nice carry weapon in my book - the option of being able to switch between full power .38 special +P and .357 Magnum only makes it sweeter.

While I think that .38 Special +P is plenty enough to get the job done, I really would like to capitalize on the .357 capability - I just don't want to repeat my Charter Arms experience. I've searched the internet, and can find all manner of opinions on this: From using 110 grain WWB (seems to have some merit) to stoking it with some really potent fire-breathing shock and awe home brewed .357 rounds (that made me wonder if the knucklehead who proposed them had actually fired any of these beasts).

Seems like the best suggestions were Buffalo Bore's .38 Special +P "FBI Load" that was pulling down numbers akin to a light .357 load (and gas checked to minimize fouling), Speer's 135 grain short barrel medium load (with many a responder expressing disappointment with it's numbers), Remington's 125 grain medium-range Golden Saber, and Winchester's 140 Grain Silver Tip. Corbon DPX (135 grain?) also seemed pretty popular.

Personally, I love to shoot so I'm going to try them all - but I was wondering what say the members of this forum. Actually, I'm particularly interested in the opinions of members of this forum since I've met some dedicated snubby users and others here who are really serious about firearms. I haven't come across any gun range Rambos, mall ninjas, or gun shop commandos here. Just serious gun folks with well-though out opinions - and this grasshopper is learning. So what say you all on max ammo performance from a three inch .357. (I'm not looking for the hottest numbers, per say, just the max performance).

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - President Theodore Roosevelt.

Taurus Model 605
Taurus Model 85
CZ-82
Bersa Thunder .380

IP Logged

pop pop
Master Member

Proud Firearm Supporter

Re: TAURUS MODEL 605 WITH THREE INCH BARREL: OPINIONS ON BEST AMMO PLEASE
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 9:52am

I have a LadySmith Modl 65 357 Mag/38Spl which is about the same revolver you have. It is a mid frame 3" brrl with the sweetest trigger I have ever pulled. It is my swetties favorite and she has it in her closet and calls it her everyday gun.

I really like the 357 Cor Bon DPX with the all copper bullet. That is what I am carrying in my Taurus Mdl 617, 7 shot revolver. The 357 DPX, is about the same recoil as the buffalo boar in + p 38Spl 158 gr LHP.

The DPX is a mid range 357 loading and not a full blown 357 load. It is very contolable out of my 2" Taurus. As far as street performance I really don't know the results as this ammo is fairly new. It is also expensive to buy so I have not fired a lot of them for practice. About 35.00 for a box of 20.

My second choice is Speer Gold Dots in 38 Spl Short Brl. I also like the Wincester Bonded PDX 1 in 38 Spl. All of these, with the exception of Gold Dots, are fairly new flavors on the market scene. Not a lot of data on them as far as street results. 

I did my own test with milk jugs filled with water. The PDX 1 38 Spl penetrated into the 5th jug and did not exit but punched a small hole in the back of the 5th jug. I had 3 layers of terrycloth in front of the jugs and they all expanded as should be.

The Gold Dots 38 Spl and the DPX 38 Spl all
penetrated into the 4th jug which is the equivelent of 12 inches when divided by 1/2 of actual penetration.

Each jug is 8 inches and when going through 4 you get 24 inches of penetration. Box Of Truth guys say to divide that number by half and that should give a good reference of what the bullet will do in actual shootings. 

All of these three expanded almost twice their size.

I fired the FBI load, Winchester and Buffalo Boar 158 GR Led HP +P, in 38 Spl, and both penetrated 4 jugs however one did not expand at all and exited with terrycloath plugging the HP. The bullet expansion was minimal in these flavor.

I shot 5 rounds of each flavor from my 2" brl Taurus. I have a holder that holds 7 full jugs of water in a straight line. I fired at a 3 foot distance into the filled jugs. I know this is not sinentific but it gives a little example of their ability to penetrate a hard object.

Older ammo does not expand, sometimes, out of the snubbies but the newer flavors will do the job if you do yours. 

IP Logged

DaSquid

Proud Firearm Supporter

Johnson County, Texas
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 7:59pm

Over the years I've sold about three handguns, one of them was a 65LS that II had to sell to generate some funds - it's the only one of the three I actually miss. It was a sweet gun.

I just looked up the .38 special Winchester PDX1 - it appears to be a pretty awesome round. I'm going to give it a try in my .38, my .357, and my .380. (I've always had good luck with the .380 hydra shoks, but I think I'll do some more research on the .380 PDX and then give it a try).

But back to the .357/.38 - I'm going to give he Winchest PDX a it a try. I've always been impressed with the Corbon DPX line, but it's awful steep price-wise. I'll have to save the testing on that for later.

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - President Theodore Roosevelt.

Taurus Model 605
Taurus Model 85
CZ-82
Bersa Thunder .380

IP Logged

WildCardRob

Virginia
Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 3:26pm

Perhaps I can help with the suggestion of an Extreme Shock 50grain .38 Special designed specifically for a snub-nosed revolver.  Please follow the video link below to observe the results of this round's penetration and expansion in target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXXYBV4qlCQ

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print