Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Snubbies (Read 8063 times)
paulshoe

Survival is job one

Tampa Bay
Snubbies
Aug 8th, 2010 at 12:31am

I had an anniversary yesterday. Fresh out of college and entered the Air Force on August 6.......OK, so it was 1960.  I can't believe it either.  Anyway, during survival training, I was introduced to the Snubbie Revolver.  First time I had ever touched a handgun.  Until that time it was shotguns and rifles. Later, I did some special duty and carried a Snubbie concealed under my suit coat.  After that I was hooked. During training for that special duty we were taught single handed point and shoot as well as a two handed technique. We had to qualify single handed with both hands. I still practice that way today. These days I carry a S&W 638, though my gun safe holds Glocks, Kel-Tec, and Rugers.  I enjoy them all, but still prefer my Snubbie.

There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America -- Henry Clay

IP Logged

old codger
Master Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Idaho
Re: Snubbies
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 1:40am

Well I guess there really is nothing wrong with you.   Cheesy
You can't be all bad.   Grin  I really like my "snubby", model 19 .357 also.  In fact I feel naked if it's not on my waist.  Hard to carry it on my pajamas though.   Wink
Thanks for your comments.   BTW are you old enough  (Cheesy) to get involved in our little tournament?   Look it up and get involved.  Be fun to have you with us.  With your snubby of course. lol

Retired LEO of 45 years
Proud American Constitutionalist
Proud Oathkeeper
NRA life, GOA life, OFF life.   
IN GOD WE TRUST

IP Logged

paulshoe

Survival is job one

Tampa Bay
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 1:44am

Thanks for the tournament invite.  I will check it out.  Oh, check out the drawstring bottoms instead of the elastic waistband. They seem to work better.

There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America -- Henry Clay

IP Logged

old codger
Master Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Idaho
Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:24pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Draw strings indeed.     Thanks

Retired LEO of 45 years
Proud Oathkeeper
IN GOD WE TRUST

IP Logged

Dave49
YaBB Administrator

God Bless America!

Reading, PA
Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 3:42pm

Apparently the two of you snubby fans are both sick.  Pull string pj's indeed!

Proud firearm supporter
David J. Leonti  
IP Logged

old codger
Master Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Idaho
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 10:24pm

Well I could use a shoulder holster under my jammies.   Grin

Retired LEO of 45 years
Proud Oathkeeper
IN GOD WE TRUST

IP Logged

pop pop
Master Member

Proud Firearm Supporter

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 3:10pm

I have had to go to Revolvers for CC. I have neuropathy in both hands and have been guilty of limp wristing w/out knowing it. Some pistols will not cycle when limp wristed.

I have a 642 in 38 Spl, and like it very much, but have been toating a Taurus Mdl 617, 7 shot revolver in 357. I have it stocked with Cor Bon DPX in the 357 flavor as of late. It is a tad bit heavy but I can live with that if I wear a good belt. I modified a Desantis, Nemisis Pocket Holster and carry my "Roscoe" in my strong side pocket. I had to rip out the inner seam and my wife resowed it opening the throat up, about 1/4 of an inch, to accomidate the 7 shot cylendar. I simply wanted the extra two rounds and the Smith Wesson 7 shooters are too large for pocket carry.

IP Logged

PX

"Laus Deo"

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 10:19am

paulshoe wrote on Aug 8th, 2010 at 12:31am:
I had an anniversary yesterday. Fresh out of college and entered the Air Force on August 6.......OK, so it was 1960. 

ps:

You ARE an old fart..  Wink

I didn't graduate HIGH SCHOOL until May 1961, and went into the AF the next month...

I've always been a big snubby fan also.. 

Many younger folks simply do not realize that "wheelguns" were, for the most part, the only "game" in town for leo's and regular folks back then.

My first snubby lust was for a used nickle Colt Cobra I drooled over in a local grocery store (yep, grocery store) back in 1966, but it was $65.00, and I only had $35.00.

I never forgot about that Cobra, and even tho I seldom use a revolver any longer, I do have two old blued Cobras, and one pristine nickle DS..

I still have a couple of J-frame snubby's too.

I told my wife that as I get older and thin my "herd" of firearms I'll probably keep one of the old Cobra's as my last personal gun.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

"Don't Cry because it's over, Smile because it happened"....

IP Logged

old codger
Master Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Idaho
Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 9:40pm

Jesse you should be about ready to graduate to a good Smith.  The colt toys were good for practice but now is the time for a real gun.    LOL Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin

Retired LEO of 45 years
Proud Oathkeeper
IN GOD WE TRUST

IP Logged

PX

"Laus Deo"

Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 10:30am

old codger wrote on Aug 11th, 2010 at 9:40pm:
Jesse you should be about ready to graduate to a good Smith.  The colt toys were good for practice but now is the time for a real gun.    LOL Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin

oc:

Crap, I've got a 3913, 3913LS,5906,6906,CS9 & CS45....

What am I missing?

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S. The 5906 is my "bump in the night" nightstand pistol.... Wink
(My bride prefers her Ruger 357mag Security-Six)

IP Logged

old codger
Master Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Idaho
Reply #10 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 10:03pm

braggard!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

Retired LEO of 45 years
Proud Oathkeeper
IN GOD WE TRUST

IP Logged

PX

"Laus Deo"

Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:51am

old codger wrote on Aug 12th, 2010 at 10:03pm:
braggard!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

Hi oc:

Well, I believe it's "braggart", but speaking as an old fart, living on a modest retirement pension, in an aluminum hacienda, in the woods, with a 1986 El Camino for transportation, with a wife of over 42 years who pretty much refuses to cook me fried chicken any more, shouldn't I be allowed a little "bragging" time about something as simple as my small, ok real small, gun collection?

The good Lord knows for my 68 years of life I haven't accumulated much stuff to brag about, but a wonderful wife, wonderful Son, and wonderful Australian Shepherd, and a few old guns give me the opportunity every now and then, so I take advantage when I can.

Just kidding of course, and no offense to you.   Smiley

I AM a big 3rd Gen Smith guy tho, and I do consider myself fortunate to have picked up a few steel guns when they were discontinued by Smith in favor of plastic..

Best Wishes to you.

Jesse

IP Logged

old codger
Master Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Idaho
Reply #12 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:23pm

Jesse,   As one old fart to another welcome to retirement.   I'm real proud to know you and congratulate you and your sweetheart on 42 years.   Not many stay together that long any more.   My girlfriend was with me for almost 50 years before she passed away and even though its been 4 years now I still miss her like it was yesterday. 
I've met so many good and interesting people on this site and have joked and had a good time.   I wish I were able to financially  travel around and meet you folks in person.   
It ain't no fun to be alone and when I read from people like you it makes my day.   Give your wife a big hug and thank her for putting up with you all those years.  Wink
I too have the retirement pension and collection as do you and we old farts have learned to make do. 
I don't know what I'm trying to say, I guess I'm just rambling.  Thanks for the comeback and no offense taken.   

Wes

Retired LEO of 45 years
Proud Oathkeeper
IN GOD WE TRUST

IP Logged

PX

"Laus Deo"

Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 9:06pm

Hi Wes,

Thanks for sharing, and my sympathies in the loss of your "girlfriend"...

I guess about the only thing I can offer you is one of my favorite phrases, "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"...  No answer of course to your loss, but what a blessing it was to have almost half a century with someone you loved..

And you've got that half century of memories that no one can take away from you.

JoAnn and I were laughing the other night remembering a particular terrifying storm system we ran into leaving Ft.Smith AK late on night back in 1969..  We were headed to OKC for ATC school and wanted to drive on thru the "badlands" on that dark, pre-interstate 2 lane highway,but the approaching storm turned us around and we spent the night in Ft.Smith..  It was a prudent move, because that sucker shook the roof and it rained like crazy all night.

That memory was made over forty years ago and even today when we get in bad weather we always comment about that one way back when..

I'm sure you have a zillion such memories with your girlfriend, and between you and I folks who are never blessed with such relationships are missing something valuable in life...

I married JoAnn in Jan 1967, I thought I loved her then, but my love and appreciation for her has just grown with each passing day over the years..  I am blessed to have her.   

Here's sentimental for you..

Our "song" was "Never My Love" which was just getting popular by the "Association" when we met...  The words were appropriate back then, and just as appropriate today.

So, my sympathy goes out to you in your loss Wes...  What you have faced, and are facing, is something either JoAnn or myself must face head-on one of these days..

And probably sooner than later.

Best Wishes to ya,

Jesse

P.S. The photo below is of JoAnn and myself back in the early 1970's...  Note the fancy Christmas tree.. Wink

IP Logged

old codger
Master Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Idaho
Reply #14 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 5:36pm

Gee I like that picture.  But, how did an ugly ol' fart like you ever find such a beautiful angel like her?    Cheesy Grin

My big consulation is that my wife and I were sealed in a Temple of the Lord for time and all eternity so we will be together again when I pass thru the vail.   

Boy have we strayed from the topic.    Grin

Retired LEO of 45 years
Proud Oathkeeper
IN GOD WE TRUST

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print