Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CC holster for the overweight man??? (Read 2827 times)
Eddie(AL)

Proud Firearm Supporter

CC holster for the overweight man???
Nov 20th, 2009 at 4:40pm

Help.  I'm trying to find a holster that's good a concealing for us overweight guys Smiley that doesn't require a circus tent for a shirt.  And it would be oh so nice for it to work and be comfortable wether standing or sitting. Thanks.

IP Logged

Big Mickey
Global Moderator

Opinionated Old Fool;
NRA Life; GOA Life; TSRA

West Texas
Re: CC holster for the overweight man???
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 6:55pm

I'm what my mother would call "husky."  Actually, it's overweight, though I'm down a few pounds to 265.  Over the past 15 years or so I've found a shoulder holster (specifically, a Bianchi jackass rig) worked very well for me.  Of course this required an aloha shirt or a light jacket (or a heavier jacket or coat in the winter) but that is not an insurmountable problem. 

Waist carry is just about out of the question, both OWB and IWB.  OWB prints easily against a shirt or jacket in all but the small-of-the-back position and that can get uncomfortable quickly when one has to sit (restaurant, movies, etc).  IWB is OOTQ for me, because I have to get under my shirt and then under my "love handles" to get to my gun.  Not the best at speed, this position. 

There is a system called Smart Carry that essentially stuffs your gun down the front of your britches, but I find it almost impossible to get into my britches when I'm sitting and if I gained my weight back I couldn't get into them standing. 

My BUG is a J-frame sized old Rossi that I carry in a pocket holster.  This works well when I am standing or walking.  When driving, I supposed I could put it in a jacket pocket or in a cross-draw holster or in a holster attached to the seat.  But, then for driving I can do that with my Para 14-45. 

I hope this is helpful.

Be careful what you ask for; you might get it.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

IP Logged

Big Mickey
Global Moderator

Opinionated Old Fool;
NRA Life; GOA Life; TSRA

West Texas
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 5:52pm

It seems like no sooner than we start in on a subject than something cool pops up on the web that's right on point.  Go to http://www.spw-duf.info/holster.html for a lot more than was included in my previous answer (aside from JMO).

IP Logged

TnRebel

Proud Firearm Supporter

Vero Beach, Fl.
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:04pm

I am a little on the Husky side also , I carry a Taurus PT 111 Mil. Pro. for a EDC and I found the Kholster fits my frame for IWB , You can trim it and change the depth and cant . And it holds me in at the right places .

http://kholster.com/

I Am A Proud Descendant Of A Confederate Soldier
http://www.scv.org/

IP Logged

Eddie(AL)

Proud Firearm Supporter

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 11:17pm

On the Kholster, what is that paddle made out of, leather?  How comfortable is it on sitting and in particular, driving?
Thanks for the input.

IP Logged

Dave49
YaBB Administrator

God Bless America!

Reading, PA
Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 4:11pm

I too have the kholster.  The kholster is a piece of leather with a number of holes punched which allows you to adjust the plastic holster to the height and cant you desire.  The leather is against your body and the holster against your pants.  I find it extremely comfortable for walking/sitting/driving.  I haven't tried sleeping with it....YET  LOL.  I think it's a great holster.  The belt loops are spaced in such a way that they really distribute the weight well.  BTW  my edc is a SA XD SC 9  but I also occasionally carry my SA XDm in the same holster!

Proud firearm supporter
David J. Leonti  
IP Logged

Bulldog Custom Gun Leather

Proud Member NRA/USPSA-NROI

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 9:29am

I'm a big guy myself (6'4" 300 lbs.) I designed my first IWB holster (Bulldog Model 1)for myself after not finding a comfortable all leather IWB holster in the market place. I've been carrying concealed for over 30 years and finally able to carry IWB comfortably.

Randy

Bulldog Custom Gun Leather
Custom Concealed Holsters
bulldogleathercompany.com

IP Logged

Big Mickey
Global Moderator

Opinionated Old Fool;
NRA Life; GOA Life; TSRA

West Texas
Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 10:09am

Bulldog Custom Gun Leather wrote on Dec 2nd, 2009 at 9:29am:
I'm a big guy myself (6'4" 300 lbs.) I designed my first IWB holster (Bulldog Model 1)for myself after not finding a comfortable all leather IWB holster in the market place. I've been carrying concealed for over 30 years and finally able to carry IWB comfortably.

Randy

Assuming you're right-handed, where do you carry?  3:00 o'clock?  4:00 o'clock?  I don't find appendix carry comfortable when sitting and small-of-the-back turns into pain-in-the-back pretty quickly, especially on sitting.  (I do a lot of sitting.)  I like your website, BTW. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print