Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bersa 380 cc (Read 7359 times)
AZ breadman

Proud Firearm Supporter

western AZ
bersa 380 cc
Sep 13th, 2009 at 8:54pm

this is my carry weapon.  I now think a DAO would be better,  quicker,  and safer...To "use" my bersa,  I gotta chamber a round,  or,  if chambered,  I gotta c**k the hammer first.  comments?

how a polititian stands on the 2nd Amendment tell you how he or she views you as an individual...as a trustworthy and productive citizen,  or as a part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over

IP Logged

PX

"Laus Deo"

Re: bersa 380 cc
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 8:48am

AZb:

I'm a TDA kinda guy, but some folks like DAO's..  Just personal preference I think, as either way the first round is double-action. (Altho you have the option of cocking the TDA if you wanted to.).

As to your Bersa Thunder380?

I could be mistaken, (often happens  Wink) but I don't think the BT380 is single action and  I don't believe you have to "c*ck" it to fire it with a round in the chamber.  I have basically the same pistol in 22cal. (the FS22), and while I "can" c*ck it for a single action first round I certainly don't have to.  Perhaps I'm missing something in what you were asking?

I also "had" the Bersa Thunder 9/Ultra Compact, and it to didn't require to be cocked to fire the first round.. Just pull the trigger and wait for the bang.

So, I "believe if you have a round chambered in your BT380, which imo a person carrying a concealed weapon SHOULD, all you have to do pull the trigger.

Not trying to be a know it all, just talking from MY experience with the Bersa/Firestorm.

Here's my overall "take" on Bersa/Firestorm pistols.  First the heritage of both was taken from the fine Walther  pistols.. I have found both to be fully reliable, very accurate, and a LOT of gun for the money.

On the downside, the finish is not top notch, but certainly good enough for the price.  Just keep an eye on it.  Also extra mags are pricey and often hard to obtain.  But, just buy yourself an extra mag, don't worry about the price and enjoy what I think is a very nice pistol.  Bersa/Firestorms come with a lifetime warranty.

Just personal opinion, but I consider the Bersa Thunder 380 a fine 380cal. pistol.  I use my FS22 for defending my wife and myself from feral coke cans when we are out rambling in the woods in her golf cart.  Smiley

Best Wishes,

Jesse

"Don't Cry because it's over, Smile because it happened"....

IP Logged

Armenius
Master Member

Inveterate Tinkerer

Filthydelphia
Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 10:19am

I will preface by saying I like the Bersa. The finihs is, as has been mentioned, not the best, but then my LCP just got spots of rust on it by being too close to the AC for 2 days (and it was oiled), so I do not hold that against it.

It sounds like the Single/Double action transition is what has you bothered? Because you can chamber a round and either put the safety on or leave it off so the first round would be double action (which is how I always kept mine).

The only issue I have with most of the guns in the Bersa's class (being 380's in general) is they have no second strike (not true double action) ability, the slide must 'pre-cock' the hammer first, so there is a tradeoff there too.

But if you wanted something that was double action only, you could look at one of the smaller 380's like the Ruger or the Kel-Tec or the NAA Gaurdian.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
-Groucho Marx

IP Logged

MacherFJ

Proud Firearm Supporter

Adrian, Lenawee County, MI
Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 12:05pm

I have a Bersa 380 - actually have an older model 97 too.  When I have a round in chamber, safety off pull trigger they fire (of course they have the other feature I don't like, the magazine disconnect).  I think they are better than no gun for sure, I think they are decently made, a lot of the DA/SA stuff from the S. American continent is made with the mag disconnect, priced for the civilian population to afford, and is really not a bad little gun.  I've had folks laugh at me carrying it, although it fires just as well as their PPK does.

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much...Theodore Roosevelt

Frank

IP Logged

Dr. Bruce Eimer
YaBB Administrator

NRA Certified Law Enforcement
Firearms Instructor

Philadelphia, PA
Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 9:44pm

AZ breadman wrote on Sep 13th, 2009 at 8:54pm:
this is my carry weapon.  I now think a DAO would be better,  quicker,  and safer...To "use" my bersa,  I gotta chamber a round,  or,  if chambered,  I gotta c**k the hammer first.  comments?

It's a matter of personal preference, or of course if you work for an agency, what the lawyers think will preclude litigation. DAO is the new trend in LE.

Your Bersa CC .380 is TDA which means DA first shot and SA all subsequent shots. After the first shot, the slide cocks the hammer so the gun is in SA mode. To put the hammer at rest, and make the weapons safe, you must use the decocking lever to decock the hammer. The gun can be carried on safe (decocker/safety in the down position), or with the decocker safety off (physically in the up position) as shown in the pic.

thun380_CC_th.jpg (33 KB | 329 )
thun380_CC_th.jpg
IP Logged

AZ breadman

Proud Firearm Supporter

western AZ
Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 9:23pm

I found out something very interesting about my Bersa cc.380.  Whenever I tried to explain my concerns and issues with it,  all would reply with roughly the same responses as all of you did here.  The gun would NOT "double action" for the first chambered round,  only single action.  Now the good part...if the gun is UPSIDE DOWN it works as it should.  I found out today that when it won't go bang,  just hold it upside down and..bang!  I ran a few rounds through,  just to confirm and found that right side up is the same as having the safety on,  flip and shoot.  Also,  if I hold it "gangbanger style" at a 45 degree angle it shoots about half the time.  It's going to the smith on tuesday.  I tried shaking it to listen for something loose,  but heard nothing.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

how a polititian stands on the 2nd Amendment tell you how he or she views you as an individual...as a trustworthy and productive citizen,  or as a part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over

IP Logged

AZ breadman

Proud Firearm Supporter

western AZ
Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 6:44pm

update:  I took my bersa to my LGS and explained my problem with it.  He nodded his head,  unscrewed the handle and re-attatched a spring,  put the handle back on.  Done.  Two minutes.  She's perfect!  Double action on the first shot and single action on the rest...as it should be.  Love it!!!!!

IP Logged

Emil

Proud Firearm Supporter

Ohio
Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 3:00pm

I own a Bersa Thunder .380 and carry Corbon Pwrball ammo in it 70 Gr and have no doubt it will do the job.

Never go to a Gunfight with a knife

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print